If I inspired you, I've done my job!

January 12, 2011

Staying Warm and Cozy

Kids were off today. Wind had subsided. Snow was still falling, making everything sterile and quiet. I love this kind of winter weather, especially when I’m inside with a cup of warm freshly brewed tea, and a bread pudding in the oven, filling the air with vanilla sent.

This morning resembled a winter wonderland and I was inspired to make something cozy and slow for breakfast. We had bought an imported Italian cake yesterday and still had some left overs. Three quarters to be exact.

This particular cake, named Panettone, coming all the way from Italy, is already a bit dry when you buy it and keeping it for later didn’t appeal to me for it will only get harder! So, I used it in lieu of plain bread to make bread pudding: “Pane” in Panettone is Italian for “Bread”. Usually this cake is made with raisins, cranberries, or orange peel, but the one I had was plain. I used my own dry fruit and walnuts for the pudding, making this recipe is another Tutti-Frutti breakfast!

{5}Panettone Bread Pudding with Dry Fruit and Walnuts

Panettone cake, cut in 1 inch cubes

4 whole large eggs

1 cup milk

1 cup heavy cream

¼ cup white sugar

pinch of salt

½ cup chopped walnuts

1 cup mixed dry fruit

Some confectioner’s sugar for serving (optional)

1. Heat oven 350°;

2. Arrange chopped bread, dry fruit and walnuts in a baking dish (lasagna pan will do);

3. Beat eggs in a bowl with sugar and salt, add milk and cream and mix it all until combined. Pour egg mixture over cake;

4. Bake for 40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the dish comes out clean;

5. Serve in a bowl dusted with a little bit of confectioner’s sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment