If I inspired you, I've done my job!

January 27, 2011

Kompot from your pot


With all the recent talk about high fructose corn syrup, I decided to put my two cents in it... So it goes: it's bad for you and your young offsprings in so many ways. Just ban it, and everything that has it from your life.

This little conniving ingredient is in almost every soft drink kids love to quench their thirst with. And as any mother knows it is not easy to cut these juices, punches and colas out of kid's diet--who wants to pack school lunch with plain water???

There is an array of HFCS free products out there but why not make your own? Don't be discouraged by extra work you'd need to do. Once you get a hang of it, you will be able to do it with your eyes closed. Although, I don't recommend closing eyes in the process.

So, there's a drink called Kompot? It's a drink of my childhood. Before there was Fanta or Cola, we used to drink this sweet concoction made by our moms and grandmothers. Why not drink it now or make it for your kids? No time you say? The version I'm about to introduce to you doesn't require much of it.

Here it goes--

Take 2 10-12 oz packs of frozen fruit/berries of your choice (mixed berries, peaches, blueberries and my favorite sweet cherries work best), empty them into stock pot filled with 8 cups of water, add 1 cup of sugar and bring it all to a boil with lid on. Once the water is boiling and trying to escape through the lid, turn the heat off and voila! You got yourself a delicious fruit/berry drink.

No HFCS but lots of flavor and love!

Once it cools down poor it into jugs/bottles/pitchers w/lids and store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment