If I inspired you, I've done my job!

April 05, 2011

Primavera—Tune(a) in to Spring

Primavera… what a nice word to describe this wonderful time of year, time of resurrection, time or rejuvenation, time of new beginnings…

I am very hopeful it will come soon but for now I watch a crazy dance of pesky snowflakes outside my window.

That was written last week. Since then we had one day of 77°F and now it's raining. But it is rather warm rain, the one that promises to wash away all the remnants of passing winter and soak up the soil for new crops so sprout. I have already spotted some tulips leaves curiously peaking out of the ground. Have to fear, tulips, warmth is finally here.

On another note, our CSA announced new season opening soon. That means eating straight from the earth is coming soon! Not to mention, I have started preparing my own planters to receive, nurture and grow new crops.

But for now, I have this easy tuna recipe. I don't usually cook with canned tuna but now I decided to give it a try. And it was quite tasty way to tune into Primavera!

Primavera is also a name for a pasta dish with a light creamy sauce and vegetables. So here's my variation…

◊◊◊
Tuna Primavera
Serves 6 to 8 people
1 lb uncooked pasta of your choice—I liked these new fetuchini
1 12oz bag of frozen bell peppers
1 cup chopped celery stalks (about 2-3 stalks)
1 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
2-3 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
1 16 oz can albacore white chunk tuna
1 teaspoon salt
few (5-6) black peppercorns
2 T spoons olive oil
1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Boil pasta according the package directions.
  • While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet/wok heat the oil and sauté onions and garlic on a medium heat until translucent.
  • Add remaining vegetables and simmer on medium-low heat until pasta is cooked al-dente, tossing occasionally (takes about 10 minutes to thaw and cook all the vegetables).
  • Drain cooked pasta reserving about a 1/2 cup of cooking water.
  • Toss pasta with vegetables, add water, tuna, salt and pepper, rase heat and bring it all to boil. Once boiled, turn heat down to low, add cream and toll all together to cover all ingredients. And that's all! Enjoy!
Primiavera is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment