You know, it is quite convenient to browse around in the frozen entrée section: you get so many ideas and the shopping list right there on the package! So I spot, I snap a shot and I shop!
However, I get a little dizzy and my tummy starts to rumble from the myriad of colorful packages--it plays its part as an advertising so well!
Never the less, I kept looking and this time one little box kept on beckoning me.
But I didn't find any turkey breast this time in my supermarket (I seriously need to find another one!) so I went with ground turkey instead and decided to make a meat loaf. And instead of mashed potatoes--roasted savory potatoes+green beens toss. The rest fell into place...
Turkey Meatloaf and Green Beans+Savory Roasted Potatoes Toss
Note: The meatloaf and roasted potatoes could be cooked in the 400° F preheated oven together. Put two racks close together, enough for pan to go in. First, cook potatoes on the bottom rack and meatloaf on the top, then switch them half way through the cooking time (20 minutes)
about 2 1/2 pound ground turkey meat
1 whole large egg
1/2 cup quick oatmeal
1 teaspoon each:
freshly ground black pepper
1 TB spoon olive oil for the pan
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Mix all the ingredients to combine and transfer the mass to a meatloaf pan.
- Cover the top with a parchment paper (to keep it from drying out) and bake for 50 minutes removing the paper last 20 minutes.
- Cool before cutting, serve with Green Beans+Savory Roasted Potatoes and gravy (recipes below)
Green Beans and Savory Roasted Potatoes
1 bag frozen green beans, thawed
about 2 lb Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large red onion, quartered
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons each:
freshly ground black pepper}
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a bowl, mix potatoes, onions, oil and spices, toss it to cover vegetables with seasoning
- Place on a shallow baking pan (or cookie sheet) and bake for 40 minutes (or until potatoes are soft), tossing occasionally to prevent burning/sticking (about 2 times)
- While potatoes are roasting, blanch green beans: throw them in a boiling water for 5 minutes then drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Or, if they are fully thawed, you can put them in a colander and pour boiling water over from the tea kettle--that's what I did. Put the prepared beans in a baking dish (lasagna pan) and set aside.
- When potatoes and onions are done, cool them for 5 minutes and them slice the onions. Place potatoes and sliced onions together with beans, add a pinch of salt if desired and pop them back into the oven until the meatloaf is done (5-7 minutes).
4 TB spoons butter (1/2 stick)
2 TB spoons all purpose flour
1 TB spoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup meatloaf drippings (collect it with pump while meatloaf is roasting)
pinch of salt
- In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium heat
- Whisk in flour and continue to stir over medium heat until all flour is dissolved
- Add vinegar, continue whisking; add drippings and water and keep on stirring until all combined. Add salt, remove from heat and pour the gravy into the gravy boat.