If I inspired you, I've done my job!

March 21, 2011

Greatest gift of all

11 years ago I accepted the greatest gift that life has given me. Although I was scared and uncertain of what to do with the gift, I gladly took it into my hands. And I never want to let go.
11 years has passed like galloping wild horses, I'm still holding this gift close to my heart, as I forever will.
11 years taught me something I will never be able to forget: how to share myself with another, how to multiply my love by dividing my heart, how to be patient, selfless and how to set my priorities.
11 years ago I became a mother for the first time.
~◊◊◊~
Of all the treasures in the world
That could fall
Down to my feet
Most wonderful God had bestowed
It's you, my daughter,
You, my sweet!
~◊◊◊~
One year ago, I made this cake for my daughter's birthday. We were remodeling our kitchen and I didn't have an oven. Only a cook top. I was determent not to make this little obstacle to stay in a way of a home made birthday cake. You see, one of the best part of becoming a parent, you develop a problem solving skills. So I came up with a pancake layered strawberry short cake. It was good, to say the least. I might seem like a lot of work, but in reality it isn't and it worth the effort.

◊◊◊
Strawberry Short Pan Cake

1} Pancake mix:


WET

3 3/4 cup buttermilk

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3 eggs

3/4 cup white sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DRY

3 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1 Tb spoon baking powder

1 Tb spoon baking soda

  1. Mix WET with an electric mixer in on bowl, mix DRY in a sifter, mix WET and DRY together and beat until incorporated.
  2. Ladle about a cup of the batter on a hot, non-stick skillet, fry on med-high to prevent burning until it bubbles; flip and fry while cooked through.
  3. Repeat until you run out of batter. Stack the giant pancakes and make filling.

2} Cream filling:


8 oz heavy/whipping cream

8 oz confectioner's sugar

a drop of red food coloring (if desired)


Whip cream with an electric mixer in a clean bowl until peaks form then, slowly add sugar, continuing to whip and finish up with food coloring. That's all!

3} Assembly:


Few tablespoons of good quality strawberry jam
Handful of fresh strawberries, sliced lengthwise
{I use my egg slicer for perfect strawberry slices}
  1. Smear generously strawberry jam on the first pancake, cover with the second one; smear generously whipped cream on top of the second pancake, cover with third; smear generously strawberry jam on the third pancake; cover with the forth, repeat...
  2. Last pancake should be covered with whipped cream and crowned with sliced strawberries. Keep the cake and/or leftovers in a refrigerator.Many things changed since last year—we finished our kitchen and of course now I have an oven and all, but one thing will come back—this wonderful cake! I'm off to make it!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to her. You are SO creative. Love the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michelle for wishes and nice comment! Being a mother sometimes pushes our creativity to a higher level :)

    ReplyDelete