If I inspired you, I've done my job!

September 23, 2011

Lingering the Roasted Summer Taste

Before we kiss the summer harvest good-bye, I want to share this new recipe. It is a perfect treat for a rainy early autumn days yet a tasteful reminder of summer. The pungent taste of the bell peppers, which are still available at the farm marked, is the perfect summer taste that I want to hold on to. Let it linger, just a little more…

I came across a picture of this recipe somewhere online and since I had an overload of heirloom bell peppers, I couldn't resist not to try it. I would say I heavily adapted it for I didn't even bother reading the recipe, I was too inspired and exited to make this soup.
To counterpart the taste of bell peppers, I used fresh celery, which is also still abundant at the market. I used stems and leaves, which given my soup its fresh note.

◊◊◊
Roasted Pepper+Celery Soup
Serves 8-10
6 medium bell peppers
2-3 celery stalks+leaves, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2 T spoons olive oil
6 cups water/stalk
Salt+Pepper to taste

• Preheat the oven 450° F. Wash peppers
• Line peppers on a shallow cooking sheet, roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes
• Place the peppers in brown paper bags and let cool. When cool, peel the peppers collecting the juices and discarding the seeds and stems
• In a pot, heat the oil and sauté onions and celery for 5 minutes over medium heat
• Add peppers with the juice. Sauté for another 5 minutes
• Add water, bring to boil over high heat. When boiled, add salt+pepper
• Remove from heat and blend with an emersion blender or in stand-up blender in batches
• Serve with some fresh celery, peppers and your favorite bread
Summer is gone, but we can still savor its flavor even if for a little while…

No comments:

Post a Comment